21 Okl.St.Ann. § 1739
§ 1739. Library theft
A. As used in this section:
1. “Library facility” means any:
a. public library; or
b. library of an educational, historical or eleemosynary institution, organization, or society; or
c. museum; or
d. repository of public or institutional records.
2. “Library material” means any book, plate, picture, photograph, engraving, painting, drawing, map, newspaper, magazine, pamphlet, broadside, manuscript, document, letter, record, microform, sound recording, audiovisual materials in any format, magnetic or other tapes, catalog cards or catalog records, electronic data processing records, computer software, artifacts, or other documentary, written or printed materials regardless of physical form or characteristics, belonging or on loan to, or otherwise in the custody of a library facility.
3. “Demand” means either actual notice to the possessor of any library materials or the mailing of written notice to the possessor at the last address of record which the library facility has for said person, demanding the return of designated library materials. If demand is made by mail it shall be deemed to have been given as of the date the notice is mailed by the library facility.
B. Any person shall be guilty, upon conviction, of library theft who willfully:
1. Removes or attempts to remove any library material from the premises of a library facility without authority; or
2. Mutilates, destroys, alters or otherwise damages, in whole or in part, any library materials; or
3. Fails to return any library materials which have been lent to said person by the library facility, within seven (7) days after demand has been made for the return of the library materials.
C. A person convicted of library theft shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be subject to the fine and restitution provisions of this subsection but shall not be subject to imprisonment. The punishment for conviction of library theft shall be:
1. If the aggregate value of the library material is Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00) or less, by fine not exceeding One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), or the offender shall make restitution to the library facility, including payment of all related expenses incurred by the library facility as a result of the actions of the offender, or both such fine and restitution; or
2. If the aggregate value of the library material is greater than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), by fine not exceeding Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00), or the offender shall make restitution to the library facility, including payment of all expenses incurred by the library facility as a result of the actions of the offender, or both such fine and restitution.
D. Copies of the provisions of this section shall be posted on the premises of each library facility.
Laws 1988, c. 112, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 1988.
21 Okl. St. Ann. § 1739, OK ST T. 21 § 1739
Current with legislation of the First Regular Session of the 56th Legislature (2017) effective through August 25, 2017