University of Oklahoma College of Law alumni found a unique way to give back to Oklahoma City essential workers, local restaurants and those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Partner at Evans & Davis law firm, John D. Weaver (’04) and his wife donated $1000 to Birra Birra, a local Oklahoma City pizza restaurant, to create an open tab for those in need.
“After I posted on Facebook about the tab, my law partner Mitch McCuistian and his wife started a tab at VZD’s and then it snowballed from there,” said Weaver. “Our law partners, Dustin Davis and Bryan Evans also made generous donations,”
The list of people willing to open $1000 tabs at a favorite restaurant began to grow with unexpected momentum.
The charitable giving arrangements are determined independently between the restaurant and donors. However, the sense of community is apparent as the list of donations continues to grow. Weaver and McCuistian hope that others will participate and start tabs at their favorite restaurants or help out in other ways.
The running list of people or businesses that have participated includes the following:
From Evans & Davis firm:
- John David Weaver - Birra Birra
- Mitch McCuistian- VZD
- Dustin Davis - Bistro 22
- Bryan Evans - Broadway 10
- Landon Long – Café 501
Our friends & professional partners:
- Jerry & Patsy Cline - VZD
- Scott Fischer - VZD
- Matt Pollock - S&B Burger N. May
- Rich Barnard - S&B S. Walker
- Brian Knight - Deep Deuce Grill
- Aaron Budd - Del Rancho
- L. Myles Smith - Osteria
- Jim Knight - Sisserou’s
- Ryan & Angie Ward - Empire Slice
- Lynn & Shelly Quimby - Cuppies & Joe
- Joanna McCool - Alfredo’s
- State Representatives Ryan Martinez, Lewis Moore, Mike Osburn and Adam Pugh - Othello's Hidalgo's & Farmstead Café
- Sam Moses - R Bar
- Audif & Katie Winters - 1492 Midtown
- Bart Terrell - Coffee Jerks
Outside of Oklahoma:
- Eye Experience - Dolci Paradiso
- Tyler Nohr - Roxx on Main - Mt. Pleasant, CA
- Emerson Heating & Cooling - Florence Pizza, MA
More News & Media
OU Law Conversations: Tribute to Judge Lee R. West
The following people have paid tribute to the passing of United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma Judge Lee R. West (November 26, 1929 - April 24, 2020) through video...
Darla Jackson Appointed to ABA TECHSHOW 2021 Planning Board
OU College of Law Research and Electronic Resources Librarian Darla Jackson has been appointed to the ABA TECHSHOW 2021 Planning Board . While the academic track of TECHSHOW has been ongoing for a...
Rebeka Morales, Event and Communications Coordinator
OU Law Conversations: Desi Martinez
Desi I. Martinez , OU Law alumnus (’00) and attorney at Martinez & Associates, PLLC , discusses his experience practicing personal injury law during the COVID-19 pandemic and reflects on...